My Printer Is In Offline Mode, What To Do
It can happen, when you are trying to print you see the message on your computer screen that your printer is offline, and it does not print. The offline state of the printer means that it is not communicating with your computer. There is another possibility that your printer goes offline without warning. Below are some troubleshooting steps that you can use to fix the problem:-
Solution#1 Check the status of your printer
In this case, there is a possibility that the printer driver might have changed automatically to another driver. You need to change the default printer driver to the one you had installed earlier and check if the printer is not set on offline mode.
- Restart the printer and keep it in the ready state
- Go to control panel and click on devices and printers
- Select the printer you are having troubles with and right click on it
- Set it as default printer
- On the same screen, check if there a checkmark in front of “Use Printer Offline” or “Pause Printing.” Uncheck it by clicking the same options.
- Try and print something. If you are able to print that means that your printer is now online. If still the problem persists, try the next step.
Solution#2 Reinstall the printer and check status of Connection
Reinstalling the printer might reconnect the connection to the computer.
- Go to control panel
- Right click on the printer and click on either ‘remove’ or ‘uninstall’
- Reinstall the printer by turning off and turning on the printer
- Make sure that the Wi-Fi signal is on the computer, then connect your wireless computer in similar way you connect other wireless devices.
- If your printer is read automatically, then it will install the printer software automatically or else you can install the printer software for your computer.
- To check the connection status, choose “Wireless” for the connectivity option from the printer icon in the wireless network and settings menu. Make sure the light signal in front of the wireless icon is on and in ready state.
- Try to print. If the printer prints then your problem is solved, else follow the next step.
Solution#3 Ensure that the right port is selected
Your printer can automatically choose the drivers installed for another device. In the case, if the driver is using the wrong communication port, then the printer can go offline and would not print.
- Go to one of your computers from which you can print and check the port number that windows are using for that printer. Note it down.
- In the control panel, click on printers and faxes
- Select your printer and right click on properties
- Click on the ports tab
- Click add port
- Click the option Standard TCP/IP Port and then click New Port
- Follow the onscreen instructions to create the new port with the printer’s correct IP address that you noted earlier.
These are some ways you can fix the printer offline problems. In case the problem is still unsolved, you can contact the technical support people of your printer manufacturer and seek for further troubleshooting steps.